Wednesday 20 March 2013

"Green Thoughts Of Home"





Let me find a nice soft bed
Where beech and oak and ash hold sway
A mossy bank to lay my head
And blackbird's song at end of day

Let me listen to my hearts content
As I lie among those stately trees
The robin's call, the dove's lament
Floating on the evening breeze

The sound of water over stones
Was always music to my ear
The dragonfly's passing drone
And drifting pollen on the air

Just once more before I die
I want to smell the loam and flowers
And spend some time in a bluebell wood
Where moving shadows mark the hours

And should I die as well I could
Please don't shed a tear for me
But bury me there in the wildwood
Because that is where I want to be

So I could rest where foxes roam
And badgers snuffle in the leaves
I'd know that I had made it home
Sleeping beneath my beloved trees

Copyright © Res JFB 20th March 2013






2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I can smell, feel, see, and almost touch the magic of the Woods in this poem. Yeats couldn't have done better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, you silver tongued devil, Niall. Now you've got me blushing! *pink* <3

      Delete