Wednesday 31 October 2018

"The Great West Road"



I’ve travelled this old road
For oh so many years
Travelled in both directions
Through laughter and through tears

I remember when it was
Almost a country road
When lorries hit the houses
Or scraped them with their loads

I’ve travelled it by lorry
I’ve travelled it by car
I’ve walked it in the summer heat
When my feet stuck to the tar.

I’ve walked the moors in icy cold
The snow blowing in my eyes
I’ve carried my too heavy pack
Beneath the buzzard’s cries

I’ve known this road from London
And every step to Land’s End
I’ve known her like an enemy
I’ve known her as my friend

I’ve travelled it in the old way
With a Donkey and a cart
I’ve travelled it with laughter
And gone back with a broken heart

It’s wended it’s winding way
From London to the West
Since well before Roman times
And it’s a road we love the best

For though we wander here and there
Across land and sea and foam
The Great West Road is the one we trust
To bring us all safe home.

Copyright © Res Burman 31st October 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment