Saturday 13 April 2019

"I Wish I Were...."



I wish I was in Singapore
Now it’s winter here
I wish I was in Holland Village
Sitting in the Square.


 I wish I was in Haw Paw Villa
Seeing all those statues there
I love Tiger Balm gardens 
With sea breezes in my hair.



I wish I was in Old Penang
Those temples for to see
And pretty girls would bring me drinks
And make a fuss of me.

I wish I was in Santubong
Where the Palm Trees gently sway
And clouds form like smoke rings
Around the islands in the bay.

I wish I was in Jesselton
Before it changed it’s name
I’d climb the Sacred Mountain
Just to see that view again.

I wish I was back in Bau
Where the girls with dimples play
I’d go swimming in the Gold Mine
And eat market food all day.

I wish I was in Kuching
Eating in the Market Place
Where the girls are all so pretty
And there’s a smile on every face.



Yes I wish I was in Kuching
Eating Mee Hoon in the square
Chatting with all my old friends
Who I used to meet down there.

I wish I was in Sibu
Around regatta time
We’d eat and drink so hearty
With those old friends of mine.

I wish I was in Sarawak
To see in Chinese New Year
We’d eat and drink and party
With the old friends I hold so dear!



Words and Pictures
Copyright © Res Burman 13th April 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment