Tuesday 25 September 2012

"Who Am I?"




I have noticed
Over the years
Whatever you wake up with
Whatever state of health
Or mind
Whatever advantages
You may have
Whatever shortcomings
These are the tools
Unequal though they be
With which you
Must face the day.

Whatever day you wake up to
Fine or foul
Hot or cold
Peace or war
Pain or gain
Challenge
Or tribulation
Captivity or
Freedom
This is YOUR day

It's how you handle it
That determines
Who you are
Not whether you
Win or lose
But if you tried
If you did the
Decent thing
If you helped
Instead of hindered
If  you praised
Rather than cursed
If you loved
Rather than hated
Did your best
And not your worst!

If you have seen
Every member
Of your species
As Sister or Brother
And Race or religion
Or colour as just
The icing on the cake
Little variations
That make Brother
And Sister
Interesting
To each other
Not different

Who am I?
I'm just one of the crowd
Who am I?
I'm just one of US!


Res giving a talk on Trees to some School Kids
Copyright © Res JFB 16th March 2008





8 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot...
    Talks about who we are, meaningful one,
    I love your photos too, you are looking good :)

    Regards,
    Lenny Wong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenny, but in these photos I was a younger man... LOL
      I'm glad you like this one, I think there's a lesson in there for all of us
      Much Love my friend ~ Res ♥

      Delete
  2. Lovely Res. Who am I? Where am I from? Where will I go? Very serious questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Zaya. Good to see you here.

    Much Love ~ Res

    ReplyDelete
  4. Res this is fabulous introspection to live by. Good to be in touch with you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lalit, my Dear Friend. How nice to see you here. Thank you so much for your kind words. How are you? And the family? I miss our chats about photography but alas I'm having trouble getting around these days so I have done practically no photography for ages. Except, that is, snapshots of my son and daughter in law's dogs who come and stay with me occasionally.
      I'm delighted to hear from you.
      Very Best Wishes ~ Res

      Delete
  5. It is always a pleasure to read your writings. It is even better when I can hear your writings spoken in your own voice. Blessings to you dear poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dorothy. I am so sorry I missed this comment of yours until now. I get so few comments on my blog that I don't look for them now. Anyway, it's lovely to hear from you and thank you for your unstinting support and encouragement.
      Much Love from Cornwall to Texas <3

      Delete